Friday, June 3, 2016

Road trip North America

Well....Its been months since i began this journey(and my last blog entry)....actually from my home in Newmarket Ontario when we put our house on the market and began to believe in the possibility of freeing ourselves from the life we were leading, venturing out onto the open roads of North America for a big adventure.
We were already in the process of making it happen...selling off beloved items, giving away much more to charity shops and finally my first ever yard sale...definately an experience!
As we lightened the load the dream came ever closer....along with it many stresses and strains as we released ourselves from all that bound us to our home and offered security, including our jobs and our friends and Family.
This would indeed be quite the adventure....to where?...we had a vague idea....to what?...we did not know.

By mid May we found ourselves homeless and in our recently purchased 21 foot trailer, excited, novices chomping at the bit to get started....but first we had to learn how to live and utilise the trailer with all its quirks....space being the number one challenge. Everything becomes much more deliberate and slower....hmmm ...lesson number one.
After a week at a local campground learning the ropes we finally swayed out onto the road on May 18th more than ready to begin our adventure.
As I sit here writing just two weeks later I see how much we have learned already as we adjust to life on the road...the total unknown element of travelling in a small mobile home. Every day is a big surprise and it certainly is DIFFERENT to the life we were leading.
One of my daily rituals has become a way for me to measure the changes....my morning Yoga!
First thing I do when I awake...(very early now for me 6am)...and now outside as much as I possibly can...in every different campsite, on picnic tables or the ground...accompanied by the birds.
What a great way to begin the day...aware of the senses and the newness of each place we stay.

We have already encountered scary weather conditions and been forced to choose alternate routes for safety sake....and seen and driven through more torrential rain in one week than we've seen in years.
Our first major destination was four days in Nashville and did not disappoint. We both revelled in the joyful, inclusive feeling that it offered and succumbed to the amazing Music evident in every bar along Broadway...and I got my amazing turquoise Cowboy boots there!
With the Country music in my blood I felt a special affinity here...The Country Music Hall of Fame
was especially wonderful and I felt 'at home' as I poured over all the artefacts and reminders of the story of Country music....many of the old names and sounds that I was brought up on back in England.
We actually were privileged to enjoy our first night in Nashville at the Grand Ole Opry. A night I will never forget....I was tingling with excitement and recognition as we stepped inside. Wished my Mam see it. Saw and heard my fave hearthrob from the series 'Nashville'(i know its not real but it felt like it to me...i couldn't have been more starstruck!)
 Many great memories and heartfelt joy from our stay in Nashville.
Temperatures were rising as we crossed Tennessee, Alabama and into Mississippi...heading for New Orleans, and more Music.
more on Orleans next post.....

1 comment: